Fundraise for Home-Start Erewash

Fundrasing Frequently asked questions

It’s important that your event is safe and that you’re aware of any legal issues. You will then be able to relax on the day and enjoy yourself.

Do I need to carry out a risk assessment?

If you are organising your own event, carrying out a risk assessment is the best way to make sure your event is safe and secure. It doesn't have to be complicated – it just means checking practical, common-sense things. You will need to check the venue /location and make yourself aware of any potential hazards and put things in place to minimise any risk

Risk Assessment Checklist

Do I need to have a First Aider on site?

If you are having more than 50 guests, you may need a trained first aider at your event – the ratio depends on what type of event you are organising. Please check with your local authority what the requirements are, or you can get advice from a professional medical company like St John’s Ambulance or the Red Cross.

Do I need any insurance?

You will need to take out Public Liability Insurance cover for your event if it involves the public. If you are holding your event at a venue, check with them if they already have insurance that covers your event.

Am I covered by Home-Start Erewash’s insurance for personal injury?

No. Should you wish to be covered for personal injury insurance; we would strongly recommend that you consider taking out your own personal insurance cover for personal accident benefits.

Can I sell or handle food?

Food safety laws apply when food is available at an event whether it is for sale or not. Check out references and/or qualifications of suppliers - e.g., if caterers or food suppliers have the relevant food hygiene and environmental health certificates and Public Liability Insurance. If you are preparing food yourself The Food Standards Agency has the latest advice for individuals, charities and community groups who want to prepare and sell foods to fundraise here .

Am I allowed to sell alcohol?

Some venues will already have a licence to sell or supply alcohol. However, if you are using an unlicensed venue and plan to serve alcoholic drinks, you may need a temporary events notice. Please ask your local authority about how to apply for one.

Are there any rules for holding a raffle?

Different types of raffles have different rules. The easiest way to avoid running into any problems is to follow these basic rules:

  • Only sell tickets to guests at your event.
  • Do not spend more than £250 on raffle prizes. If they are donated, you do not have to include their value.
  • Do not offer any cash prizes.
  • Draw the raffle at the event, with the top prize being the first one you draw.


Please include our charity logo and registration number on all promotional materials you produce for events and provide letters to authenticate your fundraising approaches if, for example, you are asking a local business for donated items towards a raffle, or your local supermarket for a bag packing slot.

Can I share any photos of my fundraising online?

Share what you’ve been up to with us – we love to see and hear what you’ve been up to:

Still have a question?

If you can’t find what you're looking for, please get in touch.